About Me

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Painful Books


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and The Bookish.

This weeks theme is "books that were hard to get through (because of difficulty, subject matter, because it's cringeworthy ..... etc.)"

I haven't really read a whole lot of books that were hard for me to read, so this is more of a Top 5 Tuesday. This list is no particular order.
  1. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak: This is a WWII/Holocaust book so obviously it's a very depressing book, and I wasn't very successful in getting through this book without tearing up a bit. 
  2. Looking For Alaska by John Green: To be honest, I found TFiOS very sad, but it did not make me cry, but LFA... woah! It ripped my heart out and repeatedly stomped on it. I read it right after reading The Book Thief, so I had quite the bookish hangover that weekend. 
  3. The Color Purple by Alice Walker: I read this last year for my sophomore year of high school. It deals with a lot of painful everyday problems, even thought it was set sometime between the 20's-40's, and many years later those problems are still pretty common, and my attachment to the characters didn't make things easier. 
  4. Count On Me by Melyssa Winchester: I still haven't even gotten half-way through this book, but in the very first few chapters, our main character Isabelle and another character get bullied, and the description is very detailed. It's gruesome really. 
  5. Isla and the Happily Every After by Stephanie Perkins: It's not about this book, but it's always very difficult for me to turn the last page of the last book in a series, and this was the most recent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment